Vitamin C Recieves an A+
Getting enough Vitamin C is an A-plus choice for your health and wellbeing. Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, has a wide variety of benefits for your body. First, it is an antioxidant that helps to slow down or prevent cell damage - who doesn't want that? Sign me up!! Additionally, Vitamin C helps keep our immune system healthy and with the COVID -19 crisis going on at the moment, we can sure use this type of support. A study done by NCBI in 2013 concluded that although vitamin C will not prevent a cold it reduces the duration of colds, in this case, the shorter the cold better! This finding alone suggests Vitamin C is key to maintaining a healthy immune response.
Of course, the orange may be the most famous source of vitamin C, but it certainly is not the only source. There are numerous fruits, vegetables, and herbs that pack a powerful punch. So how much Vitamin C do you need? The average daily recommended dose of vitamin C for adults is 65mg to 90mg - seems doable, right? Below are some super yummy food sources filled with the immunity-boosting vitamin C. So, get your culinary skills going and get more C into your diet.
- Kiwi Fruit: 167mg per cup
- Guavas: 337 mg per cup
- Bell Peppers: 152 mg per cup
- Parsley: 10 mg per two tablespoons. Pesto anyone?
- Strawberries: 98 mg per cup
- Broccoli: 81 mg per cup
- Snow peas: 38 mg per cup
- Kale: 80 mg per cup
- Thyme: 45 mg per 1 ounce of fresh thyme
- Orange: 70 mg per piece of fruit
As mentioned above, eating food sources rich in vitamin C can benefit your immune response. However, did you know that vitamin C has outstanding benefits for your skin health too? Vitamin C is an effective topical antioxidant for the skin. Added to your daily routine, vitamin C helps provide a wide range of benefits that keep your skin looking youthful and skin tone even.
- It protects against the damage caused by free radicals while neutralizing them, ultimately slowing down the visible signs of aging.
- It brightens the complexion. High-potency vitamin C such as The Best of Everything (containing 20% concentration) also helps visibly brighten your skin by diminishing the appearance of dark spots and discoloration.
- It reduces the signs of aging. The benefits of vitamin C help to reduce the signs of aging by dramatically improving the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots.
Adding the Best of Everything into our skincare routine will certainly brighten our skin (check out this short video on the role antioxidants play) and we all deserve a little bit of brightness incorporated into our lives always.
Sending healthy thoughts your way,
Mary McGovern BSN, RN, CNOR